Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Wogger Blogger

Let me introduce myself! My name is Mama E. I'm a mid-thirtysomething, Bible-loving, Facebook-addicted, New Kids on the Block and Disney-obsessed, happily-married, stay at home mom to 4 kids that has become a wogger (Walk + Jog = Wog). I guess that makes me a Wogger Blogger. I'm fat and sassy. I would like to change that, well....at least the fat part. I have spent most of my adult life very overweight. I'm talking about "Biggest Loser" big. I lost nearly 50lbs in 2008 and then gained back most of it. And even with the 50lb loss I still had about 25-30 to go. I lost 25+ lbs near the end of last year but I've been gaining and losing the same 5 or so lbs since then.

In early March, I decided I was tired of just being an observer. I've spent the past few years watching dear friends accomplish amazing things like marathons, 1/2 marathons, and really fast 10 and 5K's. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!! I'm done with settling for mediocrity in my life. I've literally sat around and watched life pass me by. In the Bible in John 10:10, Jesus says, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." God wants us to have a FULL LIFE. Not a sit-on-your-booty-all-the-time life. One of the biggest "thieves" in my life is my own willingness to be mediocre.

I knew I had to do something. I started out by downloading an app to my iPhone for the Couch to 5K program. You can also find the program HERE. I signed up for my first 5K race in late May and started the Couch to 5K program. I am NOT a runner. Even when I ran track in high school...I was not a runner. I'm 99.9% sure I have never run a full mile in my entire life. When our track coach told us to run the mile loop by school. I "ran" until he couldn't see us and then talked to my friends while we happily walked along. My competitive races were 100 yard sprints...that I could do. I remember not passing the Presidential Fitness Test because I feared the mile run. For some reason, I fear the mile....I need to overcome that fear ASAP!

I started the C25K program in early March. Running for even 10-15 seconds exhausted me. After a few weeks of using the program, I saw a steady improvement. First it was 30 seconds without stopping, then 1 minute, then 3-4 minutes. One time I even made it almost 10 minutes without stopping. THEN...my 2 year old got chicken pox. Yes...chicken pox. He was miserable for over 2 weeks. He was waking up constantly at night. I was exhausted. My training suffered. So I went from nearly running a mile straight to only being able to run for a minute or 2 at a time. My 5K was rapidly approaching and I KNEW I wasn't ready but I had made the commitment to run/walk on May 21 so I did!! I'll talk more about that in a separate post.

I'm at the VERY VERY beginning of this journey!! Come get your WOG ON with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment